Interested in becoming part of the amazing team that makes VancouFur possible? Then we want YOU! Join the volunteer team for 2020 and help us make next year's convention even better than the last! We need all the help we can get, so come down, bring your friends and find out how fun volunteering at VancouFur can be!
There are many positions that need to be filled, and we can accommodate people who want to work before the convention, during the convention or both! If you want to work only a few hours, or all year around, we can find you a position where you can apply existing skills or learn new ones. Volunteering is also a great way to meet new people and join in to helping make something great for our community.
Vancoufur holds public meetings where potential volunteers or general public may attend and learn more about the convention's operations, ask questions, meet other volunteers and generally get to know the Vancoufur staff team.
Our next public meeting is:
Dec 8th @ the Sheraton Guildford Hotel at 1-2pm. VF Winter Party staff social to follow 2-5pm.
Underage VolunteersVancouFur recognizes that the legal age of majority in BC is 19.
- Minors aged 15 to 18 can volunteer for VancouFur without parental consent.
- Minors aged 13 to 17 are not eligible to volunteer as department Leads or Executives and cannot be assigned volunteer duties that require working past 22:00 or assisting with and/or badge checking for restricted content or events marked adult or 18+.
- Minors aged 13 to 14 need parental consent to volunteer, please have your parents fill out this volunteer consent form.
- Minors aged 13 to 14 cannot be assigned volunteer duties that require the handling of monetary transactions.
- Children age 12 and under are not permitted to volunteer.
Parents wanting to volunteer who are attending with children age 12 or under are welcome to volunteer with their kids so long as the parent is able to maintain adequate supervision of their children at all times, and having the children present doesn't unnecessarily disrupt the event or task being volunteered for.
VancouFur offers volunteers certain benefits based on hours worked. Providing content such as panels, DJing do count towards volunteer hours.
Volunteers must report to Ops for check in and check out and record their hours in order to receive volunteer benefits. Panelists and DJs can report their hours to the Events Executive. Logistics volunteers should report to Operations Executive any hours worked. Pre-con volunteers may report their hours to their leads or executives when requested. If you do not report your hours, we cannot guarantee your rewards. If you would like to volunteer at-con, just come to Ops and see our volunteer coordinator.Ways to earn hours:
- General Volunteering - 1 hour per hour worked (precon or at-con)
- Panelist - 1 hour per hour of panel hosted
- DJ - 2 hours per DJ set
- Load in/Load out (Logistics) - 1.5 hours per 1 hour worked
Once you have accumulated 12 volunteer hours in a given convention year, you will earn a free basic pass (comp) to the upcoming event year. So if you work 12 hours for 2020, you will get a free basic admission for 2021. Volunteers are also eligible for for our staff awards which are presented at the end of the convention.